Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tibet, It's a Global Issue By: Nicole Forbes

This morning I received a disheartening message.

A dear friend of mine was hit and killed by a car in Florida during his Walk for Tibet. 

Jigme Norbu was a close friend of mine who I met on his passing from Burlington to Toronto. I was blessed to have Jigme stop into my meditation centre to speak of his Walk for Tibet. After his inspiring words, I stayed behind to talk with him and a great friendship grew from there. 

Following the footsteps of his father Takster Rinpoche and uncle His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Jigme placed all his efforts into civil rights activism and spread global awareness of the suffering of our brothers and sisters in Tibet.

I want to share with you some of his words about Global...

"Global Youth network is great. Great for society, great for the world and great for one self. Only we can make a difference and it starts with one self and especially with the younger generation. You all the youth will destin our future for a better understanding and world to live in.... I am so proud of you and to be associated with you and your organization." 
-Jigme Norbu

I made a promise to Jigme that I would walk alongside him, and now I promise to walk for him and his cause.

I just got off the phone with Jigme Uden, a friend of mine from Minneapolis and a very close friend to Jigme Norbu. A Walk for Tibet and candle vigil in remembrance of Jigme is being planned. Rather than travel to the States, it is my hope to bring Walk for Tibet to Southern Ontario. For every step Jigme took for our brothers and sisters in suffering, let us take time to root ourselves, remembering the power of our actions.

On this day will you walk alongside me?


Keep Jigme in your hearts and stay inspired.
May your soul be free Jigme, rest in peace.


Much love and warmth,
Om mani padme hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment